We’re very excited about or newest product, the LotusGrill Smokeless Barbecue; the BBQ you didn’t know you needed… until now.
The revolutionary LotusGrill, designed in Germany, transforms the way you barbecue; it cooks your food with that great chargrilled flavour, but with virtually no smoke. The LotusGrill is intended to be the ultimate in portable cooking; because of the lack of smoke it’s perfect for those with limited back garden space, or even those who may only have a balcony to entertain on. It’s deceptively light so it’s also brilliant for taking camping, on a picnic, to the beach – or even on your boat (as below), that’s if you’re lucky enough to have such a lavish lifestyle!
We know what you’re thinking, ‘No smoke? Yeh right!’ – I’ll be honest; it’s exactly what I thought, until I gave the little colourful guy a go… Where we cannot promise absolutely zero smoke, the LotusGrill does significantly reduce smoke emission. You can sometimes encounter a bit of smoke when you first light it, but overall, the lack of smoke is highly impressive. What’s even more remarkable is the absolute delicious tasting food you end up with… even without the smoke, you still get that lovely chargrilled flavour, because natural hardwood charcoal (not Heat Beads) emits these flavours through invisible safe gases.
The Lotus is built with a double walled construction so the outer frame and base never get hot, keeping your barbecue completely portable even when cooking…handy if the tide starts coming in! Each component of the grill is clipped down, and the charcoal cylinder is completely protected, so if you happen to knock it over or a pesky football booms at it full pelt, other than grass covered sausages, you won’t need to worry; not a single bit of hot charcoal will escape.
It doesn’t emit naked flames, embers, nor requires the mass dumping of hot embers. The LotusGrill only requires 10% of the usual amount of charcoal needed by traditional barbecues, also making it the economical choice.
A Healthy BBQ
The LotusGrill is a healthy BBQ for several reasons:
- Grilling with this bad boy ensures a low fat, more calorie?conscious style of cooking, excess fat and oil cannot reach the charcoal and burn. Therefore, substances such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and benzopyrene are not produced like in conventional charcoal BBQ’s.
- If you think, normally when cooking the fat has nowhere to go, it just swims around your food. The thin metal grill surface of the LotusGrill ensures that excess fat and oil drips into the removable tray, keeping it away from your food. Thanks to the thin metal grate, you also won’t need to add any extra oil as it prevents food from sticking.
- The patented radiant and thermal heat distribution system forces the natural charcoals to burn very quickly and at a high heat, essentially bypassing the smoking process of hot coal formation. So no nasty carcinogens, or other harmful chemicals present in excessive traditional BBQ smoke, involved here.
- You have total control of your grills heat via the fan dial on the side. This will reduce the likelihood of burning your food, which also produces carcinogens. However, if you want the burnt charcoal effect on your food, then the LotusGrill can most certainly do that for you too.
- The LotusGrill is designed to use natural hardwood charcoal. This product is not only superior in performance, it is natural and does not contain, nor emit, many of the nasty bonding agents and other chemicals found in briquettes (reconstituted charcoal beads). It also uses an ethanol gel (alcohol) to help start the charcoals. Other traditional charcoal BBQ’s use paraffin and petrochemical ‘fire starter’ products that are expensive and harmful if absorbed into food.
How Does It Work?
The LotusGrill patented design creates a bellows effect, forcing air over the charcoal. This creates rapid and high heat, essentially bypassing the smoking stage of the charcoal cooking process. It has a small inbuilt battery powered fan, meaning you have total control over the temperature.
The other contributor to smoke is fat burning on the surface and smoke flare-ups when fat drips onto the coals. One of the great features of the Lotus is that the charcoal cylinder is protected from dripping oils and fats – thus no smoke. Naked flames can often burn, stress and contort meat, making it tough and dry, but with the LotusGrill precise temperature control dial and grilling process, achieving perfectly tender food has never been easier.
How To Get It Going…
1. Firstly, pop your batteries in; they will power your fan.
2. Slot the inner bowl back into the case.
3. Fill up your charcoal basket, ideally with LotusGrill Beech Charcoal (any other charcoal cannot be promised to be smokeless). If you can’t use LotusGrill charcoal for whatever reason, try to use natural hardwood charcoal and break it into small pieces the size of a 50 pence piece.
4. Next, you’ll need to pour a fire starter gel on the ignition tray. The LotusGrill Lighter Gel is an ethanol based fluid used for starting the BBQ. Pour the Ethanol Gel around the centre of the ignition tray, being careful not to spill any through the centre.
5. Slot the ignition tray back in its place and turn the fan all the way up.
6. Once you have turned on the fan, carefully light the ignition fluid. Be careful while igniting the gel, preferably use a long gas click lighter. Also, be aware that this gel has no odour and burns very cleanly without smoke; even the flame is barely visible.
7. Carefully place the charcoal basket over the flame – 250g of charcoal will keep it going for over an hour.
8. Place the grill back on top and clip in to place. It only takes approximately 5 minutes to heat up for you to start cooking!
Tip: The exterior doesn’t get hot during cooking, so it can be moved around if care is taken.
Cleaning and Care
Thankfully, the LotusGrill is dishwasher safe… The outer frame remains cool and clean so won’t need much more than a wipe over after most cooking sessions, but the inner bowl and grill can be quickly removed and popped straight in the dishwasher (once they’ve cooled down obviously).
Apart from the charcoal cylinder, the whole LotusGrill is weatherproof and should resist rust to reasonable extents, obviously if you can bring it indoors during a monsoon style downpour, all will benefit.
Tip: Keep an eye on your batteries, if your batteries are dying or one of them is dead, it can affect the fan power and lead to a slower heat up time, or uneven cooking.
What Else Can I Do With My LotusGrill?
The Standard LotusGrill can cook for up to 5 people with a 32cm diameter, but don’t forget we also have the LotusGrill XL – which cooks for up to 10 and has a diameter of 42cm!
Amazingly, the LotusGrill has an optional accessory that transforms your BBQ into an oven (the picture to the right shows how it looks on the LotusGrill). The easy to pop on, Barbecue Grill Hood has a transparent lid (so you can check on the progress of your yummy food) and built in thermometer. Due to the little fan, the temperature can be easily adjusted to allow for roasting and baking at low or high temperatures. You can do anything; baking, roasting, keep your food warm or even use it as a low temperature barbecue.
I don’t know about you, but I absolutely adore pizza, and guess what? The LotusGrill has an optional Pizza Stone! (left) I just died and went to heaven! Simply, pop it on top and watch your pizza cook to perfection, if you have one, you can pop on the Glass Hood to make a little pizza oven.
The Glass Hood (right) is also great for quicker cooking, retaining the heat, but you still have the ability to keep an eye on your food without constantly lifting the lid.
Another great little addition to the Lotus family is the double sided Teppanyaki Plate. It derives from a Japanese style of cooking and is basically an iron plate; one side is smooth, the other is a griddle. This is great for griddling steak, chicken and shrimp, while the smooth side is perfect for food that is too small to go on the standard metal grill. Meaning you can fry up your rice, noodles, egg or vegetables…delicious!
And when you’re done with cooking, just pack away your LotusGrill into the handy Carry Bag, which by the way, you get completely free with every BBQ!
If you have any more questions about the new LotusGrill, please don’t hestitate to contact us.