We all know that Dubarry of Ireland is the archetypal Irish company; famed worldwide for their fantastic collection of stylish, high quality boots. However, here are five things that you may not have known!
1. The brand is named after the eighteenth century courtesan and mistress to the King of France, Madam du Barry. The founders of the company hoped that the exotic continental name would evoke images of Madam du Barry’s life, and help infuse the brand with sophistication, luxury and sex appeal.
2. The brand’s home town of Ballinasloe is also the site of the oldest horse fair in Ireland (the history of the fair can be tracked as far back as the eighteenth century). This link to their hometown can be seen in the country boots, such as the Clare, whose moulded soles have been designed to be ‘stirrup-friendly’ for light equestrian use.
3. It’s not just a footwear brand! Although the company is famous for its rugged yet sophisticated boots, such as the modern Longford knee high boot, the company has expanded their range to include clothing, bags and accessories. All of these items are created to the same exacting standards as the footwear range, and are designed to perfectly compliment their country boots.
4. The original plan behind the creation of the company was to help stem the widespread emigration occurring in County Galway in the 1940’s. The founders thought that creating dependable, long-term jobs for local craftsman would help to keep them in the area, and the founders were correct! To this very day the company’s Head Office is still located in the same small Irish town in which it was established, and even employs relatives of their original staff!
5. Dubes aren’t just for the country. Take the signature Galway boot as an example. Although their waterproof design makes them perfect for long country walks or working around the farm, their classic look also means that they wouldn’t look out of place at a rain-sodden festival or on London’s busy Oxford Street.
If you would like to find out more about Dubarry of Ireland, then our ‘History of the Brand‘ may be the post for you!
Alternatively, if you would like to find out more about their range of products either visit philipmorrisdirect.co.uk/clothing/dubarry, or call our friendly customer service team on 01432 377 089.